Lucknow: Saare Jahan Se Achcha Hindostan Hamara, Hindi Hai Hum Watan Hai, Hindostan Hamara… This ghazal of patriotism, written by the famous poet Muhammad Iqbal, more than a century ago, still evokes the feeling of Hindi and nationalism in every Indian. The rapidly growing social media space brought Hindi prominently and now the country’s first Made-in-India micro-blogging platform Koo App has given Hindi speakers across the world a powerful platform to express themselves. Such is the situation that users from 75 countries of the world do Koo in Hindi on this platform, which has achieved a total of 20 million downloads. On the occasion of World Hindi Day, it becomes very important to discuss the role of Koo App in promoting Hindi in India.
Hindi is present as the most popular language on Koo App, which has been launched in 10 languages including Hindi. Not only in India, the number of people doing Hindi Koo on this app is increasing in the world. Currently, on this platform, users from 75 countries including America, Canada, United Kingdom, Singapore, Nigeria, UAE, Nepal, Iran keep their hearts online by doing Koo in Hindi.
This homegrown social media platform has crossed the 20 million downloads mark in just 21 months of its launch. At present, the total number of Hindi users on this app, which has given tremendous popularity to Hindi, is 76 lakhs.
Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and Maharashtra are the top Hindi states in India to do Koo in Hindi. If we talk about cities, more than 45 percent of people on Koo App post their posts in Hindi from Tier I cities, while 55 percent of users from Tier II and Tier III cities post Hindi. If we talk about these cities who do Koo in Hindi, then the name of Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh is at the top of them.
If we look at the business of users doing Koo in Hindi, then the top list includes Professionals, Poets, Actors, Social Workers / Activists, Business Owners, Writers, Students, Teachers, Politicians, Journalists and Media. On this app, the country’s eminent personalities from all walks of life regularly koo in their tongues and establish communication with the people. The download figure is expected to cross 100 million this year with new users increasingly joining the Koo App.
In this regard, the spokesperson of Koo App said, “On the occasion of World Hindi Day, we are very happy to inform that users from 75 countries on this platform discuss in Hindi. This app connects Hindi speakers not only in India but around the world, which matches with our mission. Koo App democratizes languages and Hindi also has a prominent place on this platform in the world. In the coming time, Koo App will introduce many more features to further empower other Indian languages including Hindi.
Actually, according to Article 343(1) of the Constitution, the official language of the Union of India is Hindi and the script is Devanagari. Hindi included in the Eighth Schedule is the official language of our country as well as the third most spoken language in the world. Whereas in India there is about 10 percent of the population, who speaks and understands the English language. Apart from this, the rest 90 percent of the population speaks different languages. If we talk about statistics, according to the 2011 census, there are 121 different languages in India, which are spoken and understood. Each of these languages is spoken by at least 10 thousand people.
At the same time, Hindi and English have been made official languages of the Central Government in the country. Although their languages may differ from state to state. This can be clearly seen especially in the South Indian states. Whereas 22 languages in the country have been constitutionally given the status of official languages. According to an article published in the monthly e-book Rajbhasha Bharati of the Department of Official Language under the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, today Hindi is the mother language of 64 crore people all over the world and the second language spoken by 24 crore people. Hindi is taught in 150 universities of the world, while in western countries about 35,000 students study Hindi.